Thursday, October 09, 2008

Battling Cancer

My dog Athen took a turn for the worst Saturday night around 3am. We spent the early morning hours on Sunday at the vets. She had a 104.9 fever and was very sick. The Emergency Vet wanted to keep her for 12-24hours for treatment but knowing that she has a progressive Lymphoma I decided to do temporary treatment so that I could bring her home.

After spending a horrible morning Sunday with a very sick Athena and truly believing that would be my last day with her (my family came over to say their goodbyes), we both took a few naps and by mid afternoon she had rallied. I took her for a walk in the afternoon and we walked passed our regular open area where we throw balls together and she stopped and looked up at me with that pleading face to play. She was still sick, breathing very rapidly and just overall looking tired. So with the uncertainty of her health, we packed up our things and went to my parents late Sunday. She did fine through the evening and night, so I went to work on Monday.

My mom stayed home with Athena and early afternoon noticed she wasn't looking well again. She took her temperature and noticed it was high again, so she called my personal vet. It just so happens that my vet had been attempted to get a hold of me on my cell phone all day and was very relieved when my mom called him. The Emergency Vet from Sunday had called him to give him a heads up on her condition and he was greatly concerned. He gave my mom permission to give Athena 2 baby Aspirin and we made an appt for Tuesday afternoon. Her fever was down by the time I got home from work Monday evening and she continued to do well again all night and Tuesday morning.

We went to her vet appt Tuesday afternoon, he listened to her lungs and said they sounded fine and her temperature was just slightly elevated again. He graciously put her on Antibiotics without making me pay for a gamunt of blood tests and I am going to keep her on the baby Aspirin for the next 24hours.

Again, she had a great day yesterday, but as I was getting ready for bed she came to me looking sick again. I put my hand on her ears and nose and they were hot. I took her temperature and it was elevated again and she seemed to be getting hotter by the minute. I probably made her mad at me because I sprayed her with water in hopes of cooling her down. She had had her baby Aspirin only a hour and half prior so I couldn't give her more. I called my parents and gave them a heads up, my mom told me that my Vet had told her on the phone I could give her a small dose of Tylenol as well. So I did and went to bed with her, hoping last night would not be another one like Saturday night. She did wake me up in the middle of the night but it was just to go to the bathroom and her fever had come down.

Another night gone, and we're just holding our breathe. Please keep us in your prayers.

1 comment:

Sign2Jill said...

So sorry you have to go through this. Please keep me posted! I'll be thinking of you often.