Sunday, October 28, 2007

Marine Corps Marathon!!

So as some of you know, I volunteered today at the Marine Corps Marathon as a nurse in one of their aid tents. It was a lot of fun. Here was the view from our tent at sunrise. On the left is the Washington Monument and Captiol, and right where the sun is cresting is the Jefferson Memorial. BEAUTIFUL all day long.

Here is our OIC (officer in charge), another nurse from my work and myself. We were the hoping nurses....I was even nicknamed at one point by the Corpsman as "Super Nurse".
This was the typical scene we saw...if you notice there's one patient about about 30 providers. Because of the wonderful weather we had here (mid to lower 60s with a brezze) we saw very little patients. In our tent we saw only about 30 total in a 9 hour period, and only 3 of those were 'critical'. Our OIC was explaining that last year the transported 300 total patients out to local hospitals, but this year we only transported 11!!
The top runner finished the 26 mile in 2 hrs, 22mins!!! That about 5 minutes a mile!!! And he didn't come visit us. We were located really close to the finish line.....there was a tent AT the finish line and we were just past it, so they saw a few more than we did.

Oh look, even the Redskin cheerleaders where there to cheer the runners on. (I put this in for you Matt)
It was a great experience, and I got to meet a lot of very nice people. Next year I think I'll request a buisier tent! Hope you all had a great Sunday.

4 comments:

Katherine said...

Val, what a neat thing to do!:)

We've had friend(s) running the MCM the past few years, and this was our first year to NOT be there.

It was beautiful weather -- and what an amazing sunrise!

Sign2Jill said...

I forgot you told me you were doing that yesterday!

Thanks for sharing! Miss you!

photomark2006 said...

congratulations on becoming a registered nurse, val. that is great. from reading your blog, which is all i really know about you, there is no doubt in my mind you are an awesome nurse and i'm sure all your patients love you. did you know there are only 197 of us who blog and are interested in EM?

wildlawman said...

Hey Val! That is certainly an awesome thing to do. I'd bet you had a good time.

My sister actually ran in the MCM this year. Finished a little over 11,000th place in 4 hours, 44 minutes, and 4 seconds.

If I wasn't in law school, I totally would have been there and probably would have been within yards of you and wouldn't have known it! One of these days, my wife and I will make it up there and we'll have to get together for coffee or something at some point.

Hope you're well. Talk to you soon, my friend! :)